Sunday 26 February 2012

E.L.F cosmetics- product reviews, swatches and overall opinion



This post is going to be about E.L.F (eyes, lips, face) cosmetics. If you haven't heard of them before they are a brand of cosmetics that sell many items at very low prices. They have three different collections, the first is the basic collection. The majority of the products in the basic range are £1.50, however it can vary slightly depending on the product. then there is the studio line and the mineral line, these lines are slightly more expensive however they are still great value for money! I have made a couple of orders from E.L.F and I have mixed opinions on the products. First I will share my thoughts on the products I own from E.L.F.

First is the brightening eye colour quad, these retail for £1.50. This is a great deal for 4 eye shadows and they have a wide range of colours to choose from. The quality of the eye shadows is ok for the money however I found that the quality of the shadows varied in the palette I had. You can probably see in the swatches below that the blue and cream colour had good pigmentation and were not too chalky, these were the colours I was most happy with. The pink had great pigmentation but is quite chalky and has a lot of fall out. The purple however had rubbish pigmentation!
Punk Funk



The next product is the shimmer eyeliner pencil, this also retails for £1.50. The shade I have is Grassy Green. This eyeliner is nice and pigmented and is reasonably soft. It is great for applying on the lower lash line however it does not apply well to the water line. When I tried to apply it to my water line the colour did not come off. But for the price it is a nice base if you are using colour along the lower lash line.

Grassy green

I was very excited to try this product however i was very disappointed when i tried it. This product is the luscious liquid lipstick. It sounds lovely, I was expecting a smooth creamy gloss. However i find these to be very sticky, thick and goopy. I have two shades of these, strawberry and baby lips. Strawberry is the most pigmented of the two, it leaves a red tint to the lips. Baby lips is a gorgeous colour when swatched but when it is applied to the lips it does not transfer. These are £1.50.
left= baby lips
right= strawberry



The next item was a big disappointment, but don't worry I do have some good products after this. This product is the waterproof eyeliner pen, I had this in two shades coffee and midnight. But I cannot swatch them because I threw them away! It could have just been that I got a bad two but I still am not impressed! They were dry as soon as I opened them, meaning they would not apply well. These are cheap at £1.50 but I wouldn't waist your money on them!

Next is a product that is part of the studio line, the cream eyeliners. I only have one off these in the shade coffee however since I bought mine they have brought out a range of different colours which i am dying to try! Before I start raving about this product I need to let you know that they do not last well on the upper lash line as i find they print onto my upper lid, however if you have never had this problem with gel liners then you may not experience this. I use this product on my water line and it is fantastic! It glides on with great pigmentation and lasts all day, it also does not irritate my eyes which some eyeliners can do. This product costs £3.50, which i think is an amazing price for the quality of the product. The brush it comes with is also ok, it is definitely usable but you may prefer to use another brush.
Coffee


Another product from the studio line is the matte lip colour, this is also £3.50. This is a lovely product as it gives a beautiful matt finish and lasts really well. It is not very drying to the lips however if you are like me and like really moisturised lips at all times you may want to put a gloss over it. This is a nice product and definitely worth £3.50.

Coral


The final product is the eyelid primer, this is part of the basic range and is £1.50. I have also had the mineral eyelid primer but I cannot tell a difference so you might as well save some money and get this one. I have very oily eyelids so I can never go without a primer on my eye. I was using the urban decay primer potion and then I ran out, I couldn't justify spending the money on another one so I desperately searched for ways to get around it. Then I came across a comparison of this and the urban decay primer potion and it said it was just as good. So I ordered it from the E.L.F website and fell in love, it does a great job. My only complaint is that it runs out quite fast so you may need to stock up each time you order. Since then I have been trying the MUA eye primer and have chosen it over the E.L.F one only because I can get it from my local superdrug. But I definitely recommend getting this if you are looking for an inexpensive eye primer!

Overall I think E.L.F is a great brand as it offers nice products at great prices! But if you are new to E.L.F then i would recommend searching reviews of things before you buy them as the quality of the products do vary. Also the swatches available on the website are pretty rubbish to be honest so its best to search for swatches online. I will be making another order from E.L.f in the near future so please let me know what products you would recommend from them. Thanks for reading this post!



No comments:

Post a Comment